Nathan Gilliatt outlined the role of SMR and defines the responsibilities for 'social media relations' as follows:
"1. Coordinate the development and implementation of social media engagement strategy and policies, including blogging policy, formal blogger relations programs and social media monitoring programs.
- Maintain domain knowledge in social media. Be a resource for others who need to understand new services and their potential impact on the business.
- Maintain awareness of company's activities in social media and contacts for the various activities.
- Be an advocate for the understanding of social media and how they affect the company's marketing and communications activities.
- Engage the company's IT organization to coordinate IT resources and policies with social media strategy.
2. Train functional groups (such as marketing, communications, and HR) on the technology and culture of social media as it relates to their roles.
3. Coordinate company's tactical response to social media issues.
- Consult with internal groups on appropriate responses to social media issues. Advise on the likely response of online communities to the company's plan.
- Coordinate company response to social media crises; track engagement by appropriate groups (internal and external).
4. Serve as the primary contact for external service providers and vendors who support the monitoring of, and engagement with social media. "
via / more on The Net-Savvy Executive