Max Kalehoff (VP Marketing, Nielsen BuzzMetrics) on OnlineSpin (8-June-2007) MediaPost writes about "the early and obvious lessons" and lists 10 principles:
1. Connect The Program To Larger Business Goals: Ensure that your strategy aligns with well-defined goals and objectives, and create a measurement framework for program planning, tracking, adjusting and evaluating. A consumer-generated campaign is not a license to veer into irrelevance or sloppiness.
2. Keep It Authentic: Leverage the full creative power of the participants and don't set narrow guidelines on the creative. The traditional media framework for inserting creative is losing its effectiveness, even among the pros. Allow for flexibility in shape, form and raw spontaneity.
3. Be Transparent: Don't play fast and loose with the fact that the brand facilitated content creation. Avoid a potential backlash by being completely transparent.
4. Encourage Advocacy: Don't be shy about allowing entrants to vote for their favorites and encourage their friends and family to vote. This builds momentum around the campaign, and ensures that the best content rises to the top.
5. Empower Syndication: Make it simple to upload, simple to share, simple to embed on blogs and other community and video platforms. Let the people become the distribution and evangelical pipeline.
6. .... 10. here / more