Patrick Smith wrote on Pressgazette.co.uk:
"Staff ... were told that sub-editors would be replaced by multimedia journalists, responsible for writing news and features; subbing and designing pages; shooting video; taking pictures; working the new content management system; blogging and writing news stories online; processing pictures for print and for the web and looking after trainees."
"The job description for Newsquest London's new senior multimedia journalist position includes the following points
- Editorial duties...including writing, uploading, editing, subbing, photography and video.
- Maintaining a presence in local communities while meeting changing content and production demands.
- Contribute fully to productivity of editorial team, regularly contributing ideas and subjects for multimedia content including news, features, photographs, picture galleries, videos, blogs and campaigns.
- To act as mentor to trainee journalists and perform duties of other editorial managers on a temporary basis.
- To demonstrate knowledge of the area, local issues and key influencers.
- To engage with an expanding network of contacts.
- To actively encourage community generated content in print and online, including blogs, commmeents, videos and photographs.
- To attend a variety of events, including evening and weekend events where appropriate.
- To ensure that all relevant benchmark and productivity targets are met consistently.
- To respond quickly, with multimedia options considered, to breaking news stories in or out of office hours, either personally or by alerting the relevant manager.
- To consistently demonstrate advanced subbing, design and production-related skills.
via / more