you know Samir Hasni? This is Mr. Magazine ...
Samir posted the 37 Good things on fipplive09.com May 10, 2009 and I wonder why there is no discussion going on at FIPP's site ... and he has only 2 comments on his Blog repost. So let me share 12 of his lessons here and you can check the remaining 25 lessons here or here . [Please keep in mind, this are his lessons. I would subscribe to all of them.]
- By the 4th quarter of 2009 the advertising issues will hit bottom; by 2020 it will be flat.
- Increasing traffic to your site is not a trade off: you can’t monetize traffic.
- Continue to invest in valuable editorial content. Content others can’t replicate.
- Great magazines are not simply great content; they have a heart and a soul and they will be with us for a long, long time.
- Do not call the established media traditional media; call it Analog.
- Do not stand still.
- Digital and online are like a “successful parasite that does not kill its host.”
- Google is not a media company; it is a technology company.
- The current crisis should help us innovate and find new sources of revenue.
- The brand DNA should transfer to the web; not the ink on paper magazine.
- Content creates conversation; utility creates engagement. Only outstanding content is king and queen.
- Don't waste the crisis. Use the time to start thinking. Take advantage of magazines great brands. Magazines have built communities long before the internet started.