Saturday, January 08, 2011

Harrison Survey of Publishers + Digital Consumers: Publishers in Cloud Cuckoo Land, Must Realign with Consumer Expectations for Digital Media

Key differences are in the treatment of intellectual property, re-publication, distribution and content management were noted in a parallel survey of 1816 consumer an their expectations of the future of digital publishing devices and 476 publisher and industry professionals.

Some Highlights from Harrison Group Study:
America’s Appetite for Digital Consumption

58% of tablet and eReader owners are reading “more digital content than I ever thought I would.”

28% of consumers are now reading digital magazines or books, up from less than 10% in 2008.

The vast majority - 81% of tablet and 79% of eReader owners - believes that it is inevitable that all forms of publication will eventually be produced almost exclusively in a digital format.

One in five tablet and eReader owners prefer making micro payments for single articles or prefer subscribing to a provider that gives unlimited content.

13% of all consumers express interest in purchasing a tablet-based device within the next 12 months. Sales forecasts are similar for eReaders.

Some of the main differences between Publishers and Digital Audience perception

74% percent of the publishers are now fully engaged in implementing digital versions of their magazines and books. 43% of the publishers maintain separate digital operations from their print publishing operations and 67% believe that digital additions will not change from their normal printed publications.

62% of publishers have plans to distribute and market their content via a tablet within the next two years, and only 52% intend to distribute content through dedicated e-reader devices. It should not be surprising, therefore, that consumers who currently own these devices do not broadly perceive the access to digital content to be on par with print.

For publishers, copyright control is the most dominant management issue. In contrast, consumers insist on the freedom to share content with friends, family and colleagues, and they expect that digital publications can be shared among smart phones, tablets and e-readers.

The vast majority of publishers expect content to be paid for by consumers. Among them, the subscription model remains popular among 74%, whereas only 13% of consumers prefer a standard, subscription-based model. The remaining 87% of consumers are interested in unlimited access at a set price (33%), purchasing single copies of publications (25%), making small micro payments for individual articles (16%) or paying for "credits" to be drawn down as content is accessed (14%).

via / more in the Harrison Group Press Release (5-Jan-2011)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails